* OVERVIEW *
VISIT MEANDER VALLEY
PART OF TASMANIA'S DRIVE JOURNEYS: HEARTLANDS & NORTHERN FORAGERS
Meander Valley is home to the iconic Great Western Tiers, Kooparoona Niara (mountains of the spirits), World Heritage area which encompasses an array of diverse mountain ranges, rainforests, lakes, rivers, waterfalls, karst systems and countryside that spreads from Prospect Vale to Bracknell, Elizabeth Town to Lake St Clair National Park. This place is Aboriginal Pallitore land who lived here for thousands of years and that culture is strong and evident today with many features of this proud tribes history on country. This region stretches to part of the Lake St Clair National Park, home to Tasmania's tallest beauty Mt Ossa, then on to Cradle Mountain which closely aligns with our region and that of Kentish, only a one and half hour drive from The Peak. Meander Valley has so much on offer like day short walks, overnight hikes, cave exploring, lake and river fishing, recreational bike riding, motor cycle tours, mountain climbing, river rafting, canoeing and so much more for the adventurous at heart.
The towns of this region provide a diverse, interesting character with so much to enjoy like monthly markets, historical buildings and estates, cafes and restaurants, winery, breweries, hotels, bakeries, shops, live music venues, a rich arts and crafts community, art galleries and studios, a major annual arts & craft festival held in Deloraine, plus the well known AGFEST Agricultural Festival, along with the wonderful Deloraine Car Show which attracts thousands held in the main street. Our regions visitor centre hosts a shop, exhibitions, museum, and outdoor history discovery centre. The Meander River flows through the region and is a focal point of Deloraine with parks and an esplanade close to the town centre. Whether its stopping in at quaint Hadspen overlooking the South Esk River or discovering the historical towns of Hadspen, Carrick and Westbury, or the amazing produce and tempting delights of Christmas Hills Raspberry Farm and Ashgrove Cheese or exploring our Truffle Farms, you will find something fantastic everywhere you go! For families the possibilities are endless while you wander with the wildlife at Trowunna Wildlife Sanctuary, taste the sweet honey at Melita Honey Shop and Stephens Honey Farm or discover Pearns Steam Engine World, Westbury Maze and Hazelbrae Nut Farm. When you stay at The Peak we provide a handbook with visitor information and a regional map however if you need more detailed information contact Great Western Tiers Visitor Centre, Deloraine 03 63625280 or go to www.greatwesterntiers.net.au. Also on Facebook & Instagram or call in to the centre at 98-100 Emu Bay Road, Deloraine.
* Another way to explore our region is with a unique guided tour or charter; we recommend Greg Murray, Owner/Operator of KOOPAROONA NIARA TOURS. Pick up and return from and to The Peak. Contact Greg - phone: 0417 529 889 email: email@example.com
REGIONAL DAY WALKS & ATTRACTIONS
* Quamby Bluff: 4 hrs return, Highland Lake highway, A5, Golden Valley: highly challenging, steep terrain & climbing
* Liffey Falls: 1 hr return, Highland lakes Highway, A5, Golden Valley: medium challenge with a lot of steps
* Meander Falls: 4-6 hrs return, 10km round, Meander, C167 to Hunstman Road: very challenging, climbing & steps
* Huntsman Lake: BBQ & picnic area, fishing, walks around the lake area
* Walks via Western Creek Road C168, turn into Westrope Road: junction is 5 minutes drive from The Peak Forest Retreat
* Westmorland Falls: 2hr return, via Western Creek Rd to Caveside, C169 to Wet Caves Road, viewing platform: medium challenge
* Alum Cliffs, Tulampanga: 40 Minutes return, Mole Creek Highway B12, sign posted, viewing platform: medium challenge
* Devils Gullet: 30 minutes return, through Mole creek to C138 then turn off to C171: easier walk
* Mole Creek Caves: Mole Creek via highway B12
* WILD CAVE TOURS: Various private guided MILD & WILD Cave Tours & premium packages: contact Debra Hunter 63678142
* Mt Roland Reserve Walk: 3 hr return, steep in places, highly challenging, Claude Road access next to park, near Gowrie Park near Sheffield and close to Cradle MT.
ATTRACTIONS - driving via Bass Highway from Devonport you can loop back to North West & Cradle Mt, or keep going to Launceston, Great Lakes, Hobart or the East Coast
* ELIZABETH TOWN: ETC bakery & cafe, White Hills Raspberry Farm Cafe/Resturant & Sales, Ashgrove Cheese Farm & cafe & sales, Van Diemans Ice-cream & Cafe
* RED HILLS/MONTANA: 3 Willows Winery Cellar Door & Vineyard, Forager Foods sales, 41 South Salmon Farm salmon purchase, shop, cafe, tours and walks, Tasmanian Truffle Farm tour packages, Truffles of Tasmania sales tour & cafe
* CHUDLIEGH: General store & cafe, picnic area, Melita Honey Shop & interactive Museum
* MOLE CREEK TROWUNNA WILDLIFE SANCTUARY: guided tours and amazing Tasmanian wildlife, Mole Creek Highway B12
* MOLE CREEK: Mole Creek Caves Family attraction & tours, Stephens Leatherwood Honey Store, Mole Creek Tassie Tiger Hotel, Wandering Trout cafe/restaurant & brewery, Bozzie cafe, Earth Water Cafe, Visitor centre & internet, IGA supermarket, fuel station, post office, outdoor pool.... keep driving to Sheffield & Cradle MT, Lake St Clair National Park
* MEANDER: Meander Bridge Cafe & General, Service Station, Meander River for fishing, Playground and public amenities, gateway to meander Falls walks and Huntsman Lake
* DELORAINE: Great Western Tiers Visitor Centre (museum, gallery, shop & exhibitions). River walks, playground & BBQ areas with Kooparoona Niara Cultural Walk. Cafes, bakeries, pubs, shops, boutiques, florist, boho shops, art and craft galleries, banks, butchers, whole foods & organics shop, supermarket & more
* WESTBURY: History & Cultural Walks, Westbury MAZE & CAFE, Pearns Steam Engine World, various shops, antiques & collectables, cafes, hotel & IGA supermarket, hardware store, Library....
* CARRICK: History & Cultural walk with heritage buildings, antiques & collectables, service station, The Carrick Inn heritage hotel & dining
*HAGLEY: Hazelbrae Hazelnut Farm, farm visit, children's play area with produce and cafe
* HADSPEN: Entally Estate Historical tours & cafe, Entally Lodge, Lions Park River walk, picnic & BBQ area toilets, caravan & cabin park, shopping centre, Hotel restaurant, cafe, further on at Prospect Vale is the Country Club Casino